How Ocean Animal Hospital Vets Help Pets Allergies in Cape Canaveral
Allergies are sensitivities to stuff present in our daily surroundings, such as dust and pollen; fortunately, luckily these things aren’t harmful to pets but that doesn’t mean they can’t cause them pain. Allergies in pets are common, whether they are caused by where they live or the food they eat. As a result, there's a strong possibility your pet has them. Because your pet furry friend can't tell you what's wrong, it's up to you, the pet owner, to check for the indications of allergies.
WHAT ARE THE MAJOR TYPES OF ALLERGIES IN PETS?
There are some types of allergies that might affect your pets which can get in any form of way.
- Fleas: The most prevalent skin condition in pets is flea allergic dermatitis. For pets that get this condition in order to stay symptom-free, they need 100% flea control.
- Foods: Almost any protein or carbohydrate component of food can cause a food allergy or hypersensitivity. Food allergies might include a variety of proteins, carbs, preservatives, and colors.
- Atopic dermatitis: Atopic dermatitis is an allergic reaction, where plant pollens, home dust mites, grasses, trees, weeds, molds, dander, dust, and dust mites are all examples of typically harmless chemicals that can cause skin or ear irritation.
- Air Pollution in Cats: Poor air quality is another kind of environmental allergy. Cats are very sensitive to air quality and might develop breathing problems such as wheezing or trouble breathing. Cigarette smoke, aerosols, perfumes, and poor air quality can all contribute to feline asthma.
In pets, the most common symptom associated with allergies is itching of the skin, either in one specific area or all over the body.
Here are symptoms to look for:
- Runny nose
- Hair loss
- Ear infections
- Smelly ears
- Patchy skin or skin irregularities
- Red, irritated skin (in one part of the body or generalized)
- Licking at paws
- Rubbing face
- Runny eyes
Allergy symptoms might be mistaken for other illnesses, or they can occur at the same time. As a result, do not attempt to diagnose your pet without the help of a veterinary specialist. Expect your pet to undergo a thorough diagnostic examination to rule out other possible causes of itching and skin issues. If your pet's symptoms persist, observe a change in their behavior, or you are just concerned, we always advise you to take them to the doctor.
HOW COMMON ARE IN PETS?
Dogs and cats of all breeds and backgrounds are prone to allergies. The majority of allergies occur when a pet is six months old.
CAN THEY BE CURED?
Unfortunately, there is no treatment for allergies, and they are often a life-long issue. We want to help you and your pet live better lives by controlling allergies and improving their quality of life.
Working with your veterinarian at Cape Canaveral to determine the underlying cause of the allergy and itching may enable us to employ more specific and targeted allergy treatments or decrease the need for medicines. Ocean Animal Hospital 's veterinarians can help you figure out what's causing the allergic response and how to treat it successfully. Please contact us today if you need further assistance.