Dog Dentist Near Me in Cape Canaveral, FL
Dental health in canines is as important as it is for humans, especially since it helps to increase the overall lifespan of the dog. As a pet owner having a good dog dentist near you is a must, with their help, maintaining great oral health of your pet is easier as regular cleanings can be organized easier and any needed surgeries or teeth extractions can be completed nearby. Having a Dog Dentist nearby therefore will enhance your pets quality of life.
Why is dental care important for dogs?
Having great dental care will prevent your dog from developing serious dental health issues. Sadly dental diseases in pets are quite common, more than 80% of dogs and 70% of cats show signs of dental disease by the time they are 3 years old, this disease is also known as periodontal disease, caused by the build-up of bacteria in the mouth. If left untreated it can cause gum inflammation, tissue decay, destroy bone and tooth loss. Regular dental cleanings/checkups will prevent this from occurring, and if surgery is needed a dog dentist can stop the problem from escalating.
Some other common issues caused by poor dental health are gingivitis, infection, difficulty eating and tooth loss. This last one is common with dogs that chew on hard toys or treats such as bones. A broken tooth can expose the nerve, and just as with humans, this is incredibly painful for the dog.
Some things that you can take into consideration to help maintain healthy dog teeth are:
- Regular Cleanings will prevent the buildup of plaque and tartar, along with allowing for a complete assessment of the pet’s dental health.
- Brushing your dog's teeth. Doing that a few days a week is a great way to maintain good dental health.
- Dental treats. Not all dogs like their teeth being brushed, however there are some dog dental treats which are perfect for ensuring their teeth are cleaned if they cannot be brushed.
- Dental toys. There are some toys designed specifically to clean your pet’s teeth, which are both fun for the pet and clean the teeth.
Many pets are really good at hiding their pain, therefore you might not realize they have a serious oral problem until it becomes more advanced. This is why regular cleanings are so important, as are watching out for the signs that your dog may be suffering.
Keep an eye out for the following signs of dental disease to ensure that your dog is not suffering from any form of dental disease:
- Refusal or inability to eat and drink
- Facial swelling
- Broken teeth
- Teeth becoming loose or falling out
- Bad breath
- Red, swollen, and even bleeding gums
- Pawing at the face
You should keep an eye out for these signs to prevent your dog’s pain from getting worse. However, the key to managing dental diseases in your pet is prevention. Regular cleanings and dental treats are encouraged to prevent issues from occurring in the first place.
What is a dog dental cleaning?
A Dog Dentist uses a dental cleaning to assess the health of the dog’s entire mouth, along with providing a cleaning which removes all the visible plaque and tartar on the teeths surface and the bacteria under the gums. This eliminates potential infections to the mouth and other organs. Regular checkups will help your pet keep good dental health, and if there’s a problem, you can catch it early on.